Destiny or Choice - Judas a tragedy

Monday, December 14, 2009

The Meaning of Christmas….

Many a time friends asked me what is Christmas all about.

Today you know Christmas  by the symbols of Christmas, be it stars, Santa Claus, Decorations, Cakes,  parties, New Dresses etc..For some it also means wine and merrymaking.   The symbols today have  assumed a larger  than life image so much we forget the real metaphors of 
why we celebrate 
what we celebrate. 
This is true for most of  our festivals today.
The advertisement at a popular retailer says:  Santa Claus, Face Painting, Trip to Singapore and much more. Christmas  cant get better. 
Is that  Christmas?  No it is not  Christmas.
I can tell you the different things it is not . But defining any thing or any body by what it is not  does not really communicate  the “WHAT IS”
The birth of Christ brings to us  LOVE, PEACE, HUMILITY and Good will,
Let me share with two anecdotes which would help us understand these metaphors,


A teacher recounts about her  student.
I had not believed this until a small elf-like student with wide-eyed innocent eyes and soft rosy cheeks gave me a wondrous gift one Christmas.
Mark was an 11 year old orphan who lived with his aunt, a bitter middle aged woman greatly annoyed with the burden of caring for her dead sister's son. She never failed to remind young Mark, if it hadn't been for her generosity, he would be a vagrant, homeless waif. Still, with all the scolding and chilliness at home, he was a sweet and gentle child.
I had not noticed Mark particularly until he began staying after class each day (at the risk of arousing his aunt's anger, I later found) to help me straighten up the room. We did this quietly and comfortably, not speaking much, but enjoying the solitude of that hour of the day. When we did talk, Mark spoke mostly of his mother. Though he was quite small when she died, he remembered a kind, gentle, loving woman, who always spent much time with him.
As Christmas drew near however, Mark failed to stay after school each day. I looked forward to his coming, and when the days passed and he continued to scamper hurriedly from the room after class, I stopped him one afternoon and asked why he no longer helped me in the room.
 I told him how I had missed him, and his large gray eyes lit up eagerly as he replied, "Did you really miss me?"
I explained how he had been my best helper.
"I was making you a surprise," he whispered confidentially. "It's for Christmas."
With that, he became embarrassed and dashed from the room. He didn't stay after school any more after that.
Finally came the last school day before Christmas. Mark crept slowly into the room late that afternoon with his hands concealing something behind his back. "I have your present," he said timidly when I looked up. "I hope you like it." He held out his hands, and there lying in his small palms was a tiny wooden box.
"Its beautiful, Mark. Is there something in it?" I asked opening the top to look inside. "
"Oh you can't see what's in it," He replied, "and you can't touch it, or taste it or feel it, but mother always said it makes you feel good all the time, warm on cold nights, and safe when you're all alone."
I gazed into the empty box. "What is it Mark," I asked gently, "that will make me feel so good?" "It's love," he whispered softly, "and mother always said it's best when you give it away." And he turned and quietly left the room.
So now I keep a small box crudely made of scraps of wood on the piano in my living room and only smile as inquiring friends raise quizzical eyebrows when I explain to them that there is love in it.
Yes, Christmas is for gaiety, mirth and song, for good and wondrous gifts. But mostly, Christmas is for love.
Christmas is for love. It is for joy, for giving and sharing, for laughter, for reuniting with family and friends, for tinsel and brightly decorated packages. But mostly, Christmas is for love.

Love today is one of the most  misunderstood words in the English language. But the love which Mark was telling his  teacher is that Pure Unconditional Love..
As humans we have the need to experience that. The moot point however is that giving unconditional love is something we need to train ourselves in doing so. God so loved the world that he Gave his Son Jesus. Jesus gave His life to take the penalty of  sin of mankind. Greater love is that one man lay down his life for another. That was an unconditional act. Can we  learn to love unconditionally without seeking something in return.

The second anecdote is  from the middle east the story goes about an emperor who loved his people dearly. He had compassion and care on his people. One day he disguised himself as a commoner and met people. During one of his visits he met a coal miner.  He became friendly with him. The emperor continued his visits and eventually got to know the miner  well. They did share a lot of emotions and ideas.  Eventually the emperor told the miner that he was  the emperor. The miner  sat gazing at the emperor. The emperor asked him friend  don’t you wish to ask from me anything ? I can give you anything you ask.
The miner  touched and softly said : you left your palace to come and be with me?
I am really touched.   You have  spent time with me and gave me your friendship, That is enough. You are my friend that is all I need.
Finding a friend in an emperor was enough for the miner.

The real meaning of Christmas is not the symbols and sounds but   that the Emperor came down to earth in love for the mankind.  He showed compassion on all of us bring  Peace and Hope.Jesus entered the world in humility to identify " with the least of our brethren".
It is  important to understand the context we are in.   The world today is more divided than ever before.  I would say the expression of conflict, slavery, corruption, crime, poverty are a consequence of  greed, jealousy, hatred and anger. The message of Christmas does come alive in this context.
The world needs Love and friendship ever more than before.
This touch of love heals
This touch of friendship builds.
The power of love heals and saves
Christmas is also about sharing and friendship done in humility and kindness.

Emmanuel David

19 comments:

  1. WOW! extremely touching! Point well made! Well done Emmy! Well done! Cheers. Rajiv Jadhav - Mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas... been having some wonderful discussions in Facebook about the icons, the festivity, the meaning, the purpose, the context...etc
    Lovely stories. While the first one about Mark shakes us off the materialistic mindset the second one is on servant leadership... The Dharma of Christmas.. I like to call, when the 'haves' of the society take a decision to relinquish their rights to the 'havenots' and commit themselves to taking up more responsibility.
    Only then Christmas in our context makes sense....Thanks for sharing these wonderful stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touching stories. Communicated Love and Friendship to the Teacher and the Miner most effectively. Let us emulate them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Stories Uncle ! Nice way of Remembering wat Christmas is all about. James(Raja)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stories and the timing is just right - to remind all of us about the real meaning of Christmas. Its never too late to demosntrate love, kindness and humility. Thanks for sharing with us. Aruna

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you Rajiv, Benny, Edward, James and Aruna for your encouragement and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunny,

    The joy,love n peace of Christmas are wonderfully communicated.Wishing you all Christ centered Christmas n Prosperous New year.

    Ranjit uncle n Baby aunty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emmanuel, great blog! Best wishes. Alan Smith, Passionwerx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Emy, One of the few postings, I read every word. Story telling is the best way to convey a point, and you had two. As per your definition of Xmas, I celebrate Xmas every day. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful piece of writing. Let Christ bless you and your family. merry Xmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very True Emmy!! Very productive... May I share it with a few, with your permission?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really heart moving...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the valuable message on a christmas day. Great Blog indeed. Will follow your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  13. '- Thanks for sharing the valuable message on a christmas day. Great Blog indeed. Will follow your blog..
    '- At present I am in Hyderabad . When u r in Hyderabad pl give a call to me at 9533424737 , wll meet u.
    Regards,
    u c tiwari

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is back to basics... Love, Peace, Humility - if practised daily would make every day Christmas, Id, Diwali.

    Emmy, wishing you & all followers of this blog a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wowie!!!!!!!!! unconditional love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear anna, how are you. You haven't answered my previous fb messages. so i posted my message here. though I never met you before your fathers funeral I used to know about you through Sam Reddy and about your visit to Amalapuram. Its our Lords grace that brethren missionaries came to konaseema and gave gospel to our ancestors and they honored His Word and became Christians and we were the result of His blessing which you are well aware. once your father was telling me Brother BakthSingh saw the talent in your father and was desiring that he take up the Lords work in Godavari areas. But when he found ur dad in chennai in trian travel to vellore he used to appreciate him for his social work or literature work . when u were away in Chandigarh or Hyderabad I used to spend some time with dad and he donated me lot of books. recently when you sent me facebook article of your dad abt the Arimatea Josephs garden I was glad you are continuing about your dads legacy of literature ministry. I just want you to know that many of our people back in Amalapuram need to get opportunities to raise to the literary level your father raised to by Gods grace. we can be testimony to that so our people can be encouraged. If you are planning any such literary memorial in amalapuram I would like to be part of such efforts what ever. Because I took VRS from ISRO and in to full time ministry I visit amalapuram often and involve our local folk in spiritual church activity than simply doing petty politics of mundane things. your presence atleast once year can encourage our folks to educate their children to the peaks u achieved corporate world by parents encouragement etc.. hope you will understand my idea of encouraging our people now and then by you and other achievers.
    It will be good to involve all those who are from this Amalapuram church roots . even I think of contacting Joshua Daniel of LEF and his son John Daniel who lives in Detroit and visits india now and then.
    I will be in Mumbai for three days for "Back to the Bible" promotional program. in June I will be leading a team which will conduct the same program in Bangalore. I need your help introducing us to your church and any Word Sharing opportunities for me ( around twenty minutes)
    pray that you will understand me and give a reply from your side.please continue to pray for us and my ministry. peterkonki at gmail.com http://www.facebook.com/JavHarPeter

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very touching.. Makes us realize that its d small things in life that really count...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really well said and beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Christmas is also family time .Our visit to be with my brother and parents was indeed beautiful as we shared our love,happiness and Joy

    ReplyDelete