Destiny or Choice - Judas a tragedy

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Grace and Gratitude


Last week I had an event in the evening at office and a Bible study to attend. Both the events were followed by dinner. Nazarene, my wife, asked me, “Where will you have dinner today?”
While it took me a while to decide I also pondered over what Nazarene asked, and it suddenly hit me that question was in itself very profound. I had a choice of three places to have my dinner, the third being my home.  I thought of how blessed we were to be able to pick and choose where to eat.
I thought of two more questions on the subject during dinner that evening.
The second that came to my mind was, “What will you have for dinner today?” Many of us  have ample  choice of what can be put on our plates  things like choice of ingredients and  cuisine as well. There is a lot of food to eat.
The third question that floated in my mind was, “Is there dinner today?” In many homes this is a question that is more of a rule than an exception. People struggling to put two square meals together, or breadwinners  trying very hard to provide for their families.
Many years ago  one evening Nazarene and I drove around to  give away some leftover food. We found an elderly lady near a railway gate and gave her the  packet. Her spontaneous response on receiving  the packet was “ Thank you very much sir, God Bless you.” She  had not even seen the cold food yet she was brimming over with gratitude unconditionally.
I realise that each of these questions come from a different orbit  we are in our  lives. We may not  have answers as well however our attitude could be one of Grace, Responsibility or Gratitude.



1 comment:

  1. Thought-provoking reflection. So my attempt at summarising your post is: let us be aware of "grace" (unmerited favour) that blesses us with much, respond with "gratitude" and be moved to take "responsibility" to share with those who are under-privileged. One good indication is when we do our acts of charity in secret ("do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing") not keen to let it be known or to get brownie points from others.

    At the corporate level, we have a few examples like UPS who do outstanding CSR work and do not publicise it whilst many other corporates seem to make a huge tamaasha of their CSR work and wallow in self-created media hype. Media hungry self-promotion of CSR work is sad as it devalues the essence of what is going on and could even reduce the recipients to "objects" and statistics more than human beings like us who have their own dignity as much as their needs.

    ReplyDelete