Destiny or Choice - Judas a tragedy

Thursday, April 17, 2014

What will be your first words from your Cross

Here a few verses from the Bible which are the words of Jesus.
1.       Do not Judge and you will not be judged. Do not condemn and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven - Luke 6:37.
2.       But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you - Mathew 5:44.
3.       For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive them your father will not forgive you - Mathew 6:14.
4.       If you hold anything against anyone, forgive him so that your Father in heaven may forgive you - Mark 11:25.
5.       My command is this, “Love one another as I have loved you.” - John 15:12.
What do these familiar verses mean to us? These are teachings of Jesus and we can say they are ideas and concepts. We often say “people say many things but they behave differently”. We also use the expression “actions speak louder than words” and agree with that expression.
Let us move to Calvary and picture Jesus Christ. The same Jesus who fed over 5000 men, who touched lepers, or walked on the water, is now on the Cross. He is crucified; his hands are nailed and he cannot touch a child or a sick person. His feet are nailed and he cannot walk to Lazarus’ or Jairus’ house.
What actions can he perform? He uses his lips – to pray for us. In doing so, see the congruence with his words we heard earlier and this prayer, “Father forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”  This prayer is in harmony with his teaching in Mathew 5:44, “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”
We have two things to learn from this prayer for us.
1.       Jesus forgave sins of people. He has the power to do so, yet in this case he asks God to forgive our sins. Why does he do that? What is the example Jesus is giving us? He is saying, “Even though I am violated and am about to be killed, I will pray for those who persecute me. Those who persecute me may or may not repent of their sins.” In forgiving others we create a forgiving spirit in ourselves. Having a forgiving spirit drives away hatred and malice. It gives healing to our body and spirit. If we nurture hatred, a part of us dies with the hatred.
2.       This is a powerful testimony of being different. In also saying, “I thirst” and “My God, my God why have you forsaken me”, Jesus gives us a picture of his humanness. This is a testimony to others that we are different and dare to be pleasantly different.

 Jesus said, “If any man would come after me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow me.”
My dear friends, are we willing to take up the cross daily to follow him? It seems practically different, yet we must strive for it.
Here’s a point to ponder: We just heard Jesus’ first words from the cross.  When we take up the cross to follow Jesus, what will our first words from the cross be?
We have three examples of first words from the cross.
1.       There is a word of Ridicule:  The thief on left was angry and irritated. He deplored his plight. May be there was injustice in his case, or perhaps his punishment was greater than his sin. We may never know what his emotion was, but what we know is that his first words were words of ridicule from the cross. In so doing, he failed to see the Saviour.
2.       We next have an example of repentance. The thief on the right, correctly identified Christ. When he looked at Jesus on the Cross and his own cross, it was too difficult for him to bear. He rebuked the other thief’s ridicule and asked for forgiveness. We have an example here, as the repenting thief on the right set himself apart from the world. He was courageous to take a stand. The words of repentance draw us near to Jesus.
3.       Next we have an eloquent example of reconciliation. In forgiving others Jesus brings about reconciliation. It means that you become friends with those who persecute you. Jesus made the prayer of the angels at his birth “peace on earth and goodwill towards men” a reality with forgiveness and love.
When we are hurting, there are three ways to respond, either by
                                                ridicule, 
                                                repentance or
                                                reconciliation. 
We are given a choice... may we choose the right response to glorify God.

Here’s a small prayer to set us on track: O Lord because we often sin, and have to ask for pardon, help us to forgive as we would be forgiven. Neither mentioning old offences committed against us, nor dwelling upon in thought; but loving our brother freely as you freely love us. In Jesus name. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Yes Indeed .Forgiveness puts you in a win win situation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super.. I dont even think forgiveness must be an effort. It must flow from within . I remember some 15 yrs ago I was was yoked with a friend of mine who was an alcoholic and I had to disassociate from him. A man who as given to consuming liquor and sleeping suddenly woke up and started coming behind me and was harassing me. He evoked the law and police and all under his might and it was at a time when my father was in his last stages of his life (battling cancer)

    I hated this guy. It was at this time that I met a person who gave me a wonderful insight that I would like to share.

    We called her PS Teacher. PS Teacher had a wonderful ministry upholding people in prayer. I used to share all my troubles and she gave words of comfort and prayed for me. One day I was in absolute distress when I met her. She opened her Bible and said that she was praying for me when she got a passage fromt he Bible.. and she read out. I really cant place the finger on the verse or the book .. but i think it was Zechariah. God warns the people of various ailments if they work against Zion. The curse included tongue cleaving to the roof of the mouth .. feet withering away etc. She read the passage and looked and me and asked "Brother this is what will happen to your enemy and did you realize this is what happens to an alcoholic too?" I was so happy because the Lord God is going to show his vengence on my enemy.. for the first time hope and happiness filled my heart. She said "Now brother go in peace for the Lord shall destroy your enemies" I left the room and as I was wearing my shoes she asked me "are you happy now brother that your enemy is going to be destroyed by the wrath of the Lord?" I said YES.

    Then what she said shocked me. If you need grace from God go home and pray that all that I had mentioned does not happen to your enemy. I froze.
    She smiled and said "If you evoke the just God he will deliver Justice and punish your enemy but if you evoke the grace in God by forgiving your enemy He will shower his grace upon your and spare your enemy"

    She bid me goodbye by saying that is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benny for this testimonial.. Very Inspiring. It is really God's grace we have persons like PS teacher who know the word thouroughly. God Bless her

      Delete
  3. ❤️🙏🏼❤️

    ReplyDelete